Sun exposure is the most preventable risk factor for all skin cancers, including melanoma. The following are ways to have fun in the sun and enjoy the summer safely:
- Generously apply a broad-spectrum water-resistant sunscreen of at least SPF 15, providing protection from both UVA and UVB rays. Re-apply every 2 hours, even on cloudy days.
- Wear sun-protective clothing.
- Seek shade; remember that the sun’s rays are strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Use extra caution near water, snow and sand as they reflect damaging rays.
- Protect children.
- Get vitamin D safely through a healthy diet, including vitamin supplements.
- Avoid tanning beds.
The Sun’s Rays